Thursday, November 08, 2007

Where's N?

On the Q front: he wrote his name for the first time today, with next to no coaching, and no prior demonstration (to me at least) of letter writing other than the letter “Q”. I grinned all morning.

Sometimes I forget that N, in addition to being nearly twice her birth weight and able to eat mushy food, is also making subtle developmental gains. Lately she’s taken to grabbing things. I keep looking at her puzzled. “Why would you do that? You’re suppose to hang out aimlessly while I make my lunch, not stick your hands in the chummus.”

This evening though, we had a delightful little step. I’d read recently that babies at this age start comprehending hide and seek. I tried it once with no real response. But tonight, she was lying in the bassinet, and I tossed a blanket over her head. “Where’s N?” I pulled it off. “There she is!” The next time I wasn’t fast enough and she pulled it off herself, giggling as I responded. Giggling and full body happy wriggling as we repeated the game again and again, with Q joining in, sometimes hiding himself, sometimes hiding N.

A smiley evening ending with reading two chapters of Winnie the Pooh, and a delivery of groceries (too exciting to fall asleep during, I acknowledged). Not all nights are hard.

No comments: